Monday, January 7, 2013

Help for Mr. & Mrs. Grumpypants...




Struggling with a bad attitude? Life not turning out like you'd planned? Perhaps, there is ONE question you could ask that might just change your attitude and outlook on your situation...

On March 3, 2011, an 11-year girl named Jessie Rees was diagnosed with an inoperable, incurable brain tumor. The doctors told her parents that Jessie had 12-18 months to live. The family chose a treatment plan in hopes of extending her life. While undergoing out-patient radiation treatment, Jessie learned that some of the kids had to remain in the hospital for weeks and months while they recieved their treatments. Even though radiation was difficult, Jessie was worried about those children who couldn't go home. After leaving the hospital one day, Jessie asked her parents a very important question: "How can we help them?"

Jessie went home and filled up brown paper lunch sacks with stuffed animals and extra toys and asked her dad to take those sacks back to the hospital for the other kids. Jessie's dad called the hospital and was granted permission to deliver the toys, but instead of paper bags, the toys had to be put into glass jars. Those jars were an instant hit! Eventually, Jessie named her creations "Joy Jars" - because her middle name was "Joy." While her life would be cut short, the most important thing in Jessie's mind was devoting time and energy to helping others.

Sadly, Jessie passed away 10 months after her diagnosis on January 5, 2012. Before she died, Jessie filled 3,000 Joy Jars and started the Never Give Up Foundation (NEGU), now called the Jessie Rees Foundation.* In the past year, over 30,000 Joy Jars have been distributed to hospitals and Ronald McDonald Houses all over the country.

Consider a different approach to dealing with life...
When we're going through difficult times or struggling with our relationships, the idea of seeking out opportunities to help others is often the last thing on our minds. We believe that we must direct 100% of our time, resources, mental energy and worrying toward trying to overcome our challenges or troubles. Yet, what would happen if we carved out just an hour or two a week to ask another person: "What can I do to help you?"

Goodbye Mrs. Grumpypants... 
When things don't go my way - or when people disappoint me - I can get kinda grumpy. So, this past summer was my 20th wedding anniversary and I was really excited. Yet, my husband and I were never able to commit to any travel plans. It was a huge disappointment for me and I got angry.  My mind was filled with phrases like, "It's not fair" and "I deserve..." I wasn't getting what I wanted and no amount of effort could change the situation.

A few days after our anniversary, my sister-in-law and niece were in a horrific car accident. My niece spent long periods of time in an induced-coma and had so many surgeries we lost count. In the weeks that followed the accident, I had the opportunity to ask the question, "How can I help?"  Asking that simple question drew me out of my selfishness and actually improved my attitude toward the things in my life that I couldn't change. It got me out of my own head and engaged me with what was happening around me. I felt great because I knew that I was making a difference in someone else's life. Here's a truth I remembered: Making a difference is ALWAYS better than getting my own way.

Asking the question, "What can I do to help?" doesn't diminish the significance of your problems!
I know that some of you have your backs against the wall in some area or another of your life. Making yourself available to help someone else isn't just good for them - in fact, it's critically important for you and your healthy attitude toward the things in life that you might not be able to change. 

 "No one can do everyone, but everyone can do something."


SCRIPTURAL INSPIRATION: In Matthew 20, Jesus was talking to the disciples about his impending death and patiently listening to them while they mounted a power play in hopes of an enhanced position in the kingdom. No doubt, having full-knowledge of what was to come must have been a stressful mental and emotional burden. Yet, Jesus does not lose sight of his mission and the following words inspire servant-leaders all over the world today:  "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:28)


 

*For more information about Joy Jars and to watch Jessie's story, here is the link: http://www.negu.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment