Friday, August 5, 2011

I feel bad for the skinny girls...

I was reading an article about actress Jessica Alba, who has acted in television shows such as Dark Angel and starred in movies like "Honey" and "Fantastic Four." She's always been a red carpet darling and the camera loves her. So I was surprised to read about how this soon-to-deliver-her-second-child woman was already talking about how she was going to lose her pregnancy weight because of the pressure she feels to be thin.  Celeb-journalists (as opposed to real journalists...) quote Ms. Alba as saying that she'll starve herself to lose the weight. I sure hope that isn't true, but if it is, then bless her heart...

I kept reading Ms. Alba's assessment (again, as written by a celeb-journalist) of her saggy breasts, cellulite and bigger hips. I'm sure that Ms. Alba's hips are completely, outta control. (Sorry, that was snarky.) But it's just ridiculous - yet I still feel sad for her.  Can't a woman get pregnant, gain weight and proudly wear the battle scars  - and cellulite - associated with the miracle of giving birth? And after Ms. Alba gives birth, the  clock is going to be running for her to peel off the pregnancy weight because if she's still packing even three left-over pregnancy pounds, she won't be able to leave the house for a coffee run at Starbucks for fear that someone will criticize her on Wonderwall.com. My youngest daughter's turns 11 tomorrow and I don't have time to feel guilty about the last 10 pounds I didn't lose from that pregnancy.  Then again, I'm not an actress being paid $2.5 million dollars to entice audiences out to see a movie that cost $75 million to make...

Obviously, Alba's livelihood is very much connected to her visual image and she gets paid very well to fit into clothes sized in the low, single digits. Hollywood success is about fitting the ideal - a fantastical ideal that these actresses and pop stars buy into - maybe because of the financial rewards, perhaps the fame - whatever it is, they agree to it. And the rest of us spend our times resisting the urge to join them in their pursuit- including me. In fact, there was another article (on Friday) that listed the height and weight of many popular female Hollywood celebs and supermodels. It was INSANE! Women with a height of 5'11' weighing 110 lbs. I'm 5'10" and famous Hollywood women of my height didn't tip the scales over 120 lbs. Do you want to know when I'm gonna weigh 120 lbs? After I've been dead at least two weeks...


Where's my cookie at?

No comments:

Post a Comment